We are spoilt for choice when it comes to parks, playgrounds and open space within Moonee Valley. Our top parks are below, with a complete list of all Moonee Valley parks found here.
- Boathouse Park, Moonee Ponds – A large playground with slides, swings, climbing equipment, a small boat, equipment that makes music, toilets and seats. The bumpy path is lots of fun and nearby is a large gazebo. The Boathouse is next to the park, with takeaway coffee available outside. The park is located along the Maribyrnong river (unfenced).
- Boeing Reserve, Strathmore Heights – Expansive open space defines this play area. Along with a playground, there’s tennis courts, a half-pipe skate ramp, ovals, cricket pitches, a baseball field and a bocce court. Moonee Ponds bike path is close by for kids wanting to ride their scooter or bike. Plane spotting a bonus!
- Montgomery Park, Essendon – Go with a sense of adventure! Many things for the kids to enjoy including the long silver slide, 2 small playgrounds including the Swift Parrot playspace, half basketball court, tennis court, open space and Essendon Traffic School. Read our review of this park, and why our kids love it!
- Riverside Park, Abefeldie – Home of the much-loved Black Sapphire Pirate Ship, kids can channel their inner-pirate. There’s a playground close by, open space and toilets. The park is located along the Maribyrnong river (unfenced), kids can ride their bikes or scooters along the path.
- Rosehill Park, East Keilor – The highlight is the skate park, great for kids on scooters or bikes (can be busy on weekend with older kids on skateboards). There’s also a playground, half basketball court, a path ideal for riding bikes and open space.
- Queens Park, Moonee Ponds – The premiere park within Moonee Valley, this park has 2 playgrounds, beautiful gardens, open space and an unfenced lake. Curator’s Collective is located within the park. Queens Park Pool is next to the park, open November to March.
- Victory Park, Ascot Vale – A huge wooden maze-like playground, this fabulous park is great for imaginative games and exploration. There’s also swings, slides, open space, BBQ facilities and toilets. It is mostly fenced. Ascot Vale Leisure Centre is next to the park, for a coffee fix or snack.
- Woodlands Park, Strathmore – A great playground, including a shaded area for younger kids and a ‘castle’. Paths for scooters and bikes, lots of open space for running around. Toilets and BBQs located within the park, with a shaded seating area. There’s an unfenced lake. Coles and cafes within walking distance of the park.